Wednesday, June 29, 2016

What I'm working on

There's a card game that I have for my phone that Free To Play but limits how much you can play based on a real life timer.  I love the mechanics, so I'm recreating this game (plus some enhancements of course) in Unity.   It's 2D, so there won't be lighting/camera/shading issues hopefully.   There aren't many tutorials on Unity in regards to TCG/CCG on YouTube, so I'm hoping to fill in some of this gap.   I'm not a video content creator (yet) though, so part of the motivation of this blog is to keep some of my video ideas in blog form.  I feel that since I'm going through these growing pains right now I'm uniquely qualified to teach from a beginner's standpoint. 

Currently my card game has a backend engine/database and can create a random level 1-25 card with 1-5 "stars".   My background is in application development, so I took the tact of writing "engine" code before I started really implementing things in Unity.    Basically, this means I can play the game in a console without it rendering anything in a UI to the screen.   I'm using an object oriented approach with a SQLite backend database to hold a lot of configuration information about my cards.

 In the frontend my Unity scene can create a card with full details (health, attack, level, stars, artwork, card text) and place it in 1-5 predetermined positions on the screen.   It can also clear the cards currently on the board.    This may not sound like much, but it has been a month of working on it (not full time of course) and I couldn't be prouder of it so far!

My goals with this game are to create a working product that can be played by anyone (not just me)!  This means working on polishing the game after it's "functionally complete".  So many voices in the podcasts that I listen to that espouse the virtues of actually completing a game.   I want to "make it clunky", meaning making it go "clunk" whenever someone clicks something or moves an asset.   I want there to be both visual and audio feedback, and I want it to feel like a great game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment